Friday, April 14, 2017

The Resurrection Business

I write these words on the Friday we as Christians call Good.  I write at the end of a week that has been anything but good.  Four funerals in five days.  A 90 year old woman.  A 53 year old man.  An 85 year old woman.  A 19 year old.  Funerals are never easy for me.  I think that is probably the case for most of us.  It is really, really hard when someone we know and someone we love dies.  It is made even more difficult when death come suddenly with little to no time to prepare. 

I wonder if that’s how it was for those followers of Jesus as well.  It all happened so very quickly.  The entry into Jerusalem with the crowds of people gathered about singing their praises to Jesus turned suddenly into a solemn and what must have been an awful situation with Jesus’ arrest in the Garden, his rushed trial, and then his death the next day.  How do you move forward when life changes so abruptly?

We know how the story turns out.  None of us are surprised to worship on Easter and find out that Jesus is risen; the tomb is empty.  The risen Jesus is a reminder that every one of us needs.  The empty tomb changes everything!

God is in the business of bringing life from death.  It’s not just the physical death at the end of our lives in which the resurrection matters.  We all die hundreds of little deaths before we take our last breath.  And each time we die, God is at work to raise us up as something new.  The apostle Paul says that in Christ we become a new creation; the old passes away (2 Corinthians 5.17, if you care to look it up). 

When I was a child, I had dreams of playing football, or at least of coaching football.  My family had dreams of my being in the medical field.  Then this happened and that happened and along the way God tapped me on the shoulder and called me to be a pastor.  And then this happened: that little boy died.  He died.  God raised him up again as a new creation where I was a student at a college in Decorah, Iowa.

I went to college with the hopes of making my parents proud.  I was going to be a doctor or perhaps a veterinarian.  God again tapped me on the shoulder and called me to be a pastor.  A few years later the college student died, and God raised him up as a seminary student in St. Paul, MN. 

About five years later the seminary student died, and I was raised up again as an associate pastor of a church in Westby, Wisconsin.  The old passed away. 

Along the way the solitary young man died and was raised up first as a husband and then as a father.  The Wisconsin pastor died whom God raised up as a pastor in Caledonia. 

At some day in the future, I’m hoping it is the distant future, I will die again what this world calls a physical death, and then, sure enough, God will raise me up yet again to the life God has had in store for me all along. 

God is in the resurrection business.  God brings new life from death.  God brings new life from our physical deaths and from the thousands of deaths we all experience as we live this life. 

Easter changes everything.  It does not take away the grief we feel and we experience anytime someone close to us dies.  It does not change the grief we experience when some part of us dies and God brings something new.  It’s hard.  It’s painful. It does not mean that we need to be happy.  It is, however, a promise that we hold to and that I invite you to embrace this day.  God is always at work to bring life to you and to me. 

May God’s promise of resurrection life be yours today and every day.  

2 comments:

  1. FYI ....when you left Westby...a parting was just like you really did die...but it is with Great Excitement and Joy in my heart each time we meet ...sometimes in the strangest. Places ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, good words for this Holy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete